The seasons have changed from Spring into Summer here in Texas. Our first 100 degree day since last September came yesterday. This could be a record-breaking summer like 2011, but I hope not.
So...The blog is back on! I hope to make this a regular post, so keep coming back and let your friends know about it. I've been told by an expert to focus on one thing, and just go with it, so here it is. This will be about my journey in GIS (Geospatial Information Sciences).
Lately, I have been reading lots of blogs and attending many training webinars so that I can stay on top of the latest trends. Here's what I see so far this year. The basic goal of GIS has not changed. There is still a need for analysts, developers and other specialists who know their way around GIS software and know how to perform analysis of the results.
But a new wrinkle involves virtualization of the software. SaaS (Software as a Service) and server deployments of GIS software are becoming more prevalent than in previous years. GIS software leaders PBSI, (Pitney Bowes Software, Inc.) and ESRI have both developed similar solutions which rely on a distributed server model to perform GIS tasks. However, the use of these "virtual" GIS engines (versus a desktop GIS solution) is gaining more traction than when ESRI first introduced ArcGIS Server.
In my opinion, there is still a need to have a desktop GIS solution, but I see that need waning as distributed GIS solutions take a larger role in the industry and become more integrated. It will be interesting to see where these trends lead.
Until next time, enjoy your week!
Monday, June 25, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment